ALUS Canada has room for your farm!
Join ALUS today!
Did you know that Wetaskiwin and Leduc County offer the Alternative Land Use Services (ALUS) program to resident farmers and ranchers?
ALUS Canada, A Weston Family Initiative, is a national program helping farmers and ranchers to produce cleaner air, cleaner water and other ecosystem benefits in their communities.
ALUS Canada provides support to local programs, such as Wetaskiwin and Leduc, to administer,
establish and maintain community projects with participant farmers.
ALUS helps farmers and ranchers restore wetlands, reforest, plant windbreaks, install riparian buffers, create pollinator habitat and establish other ecologically-beneficial projects on their properties.
Types of ALUS projects:
- Riparian projects that will provide critical wildlife habitat and improve water quality
- Wetlands projects that improve water quality and offset the impact of droughts
- Native prairie projects that will provide further natural grazing and haying options
- Pollinator planting projects that will provide habitat for native bees
- Many other projects that produce valuable ecosystem services
To enroll in ALUS, please contact Kim Barkwell, your local ALUS Coordinator, at 780-387-6182.