Chickens & Coops workshop
Caring for chickens in Leduc County
March 16 from 2 to 4 p.m.
Nisku Recreation Centre, 606 – 18 Ave, Nisku
$10 per person
Leduc County and Parkland County have partnered for a presentation on chickens by Cassandra
Kirkpatrick from Alberta Farm Animal Care (AFAC).
Cassandra Kirkpatrick has her own small flock in High River, Alberta. She is also an entrepreneur, starting her own business in 2015, Jungle Out There Pet Services. Cassandra has a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, majoring in Animal Science. Some of her hands-on experience with poultry comes from being a certified Poultry Welfare Auditor.
What you will learn at the Chickens & Coops workshop:
- When and where to purchase birds
- Daylight hours, feed and watering requirements,
- Shelter, nest boxes
- Predator control
- Manure management
- Antibiotics/flock health, veterinarian relationship
- Rooster presence
- Start up expenses,
- Processing facilities
- Farmer’s market regulations
- Egg collection and cleaning
- Neighbourhood relationships, crowing roosters, broodiness
- What to do when chickens stop laying eggs
Leduc County will have a planning and development officer in attendance to answer any questions
pertaining to bylaws and zoning.
For more information, call 780-955-4593. Please note, registrations will not be taken at the door.