Leduc County and its contractors continue work on Centre Avenue to install a new road, storm drainage and sidewalks; this work is expected to be complete by the end of October.
This project has experienced significant delays due to weather and other uncontrollable factors, and we sincerely appreciate your patience as we work towards completion.
In June, shortly after this project began, AltaGas discovered two areas with contaminated soil. Tests determined the level of contamination was low, but before proceeding with the project, specific environmental requirements had to be completed, as follows:
- Removal of contaminated soil
- Installation of an environmental liner to separate the contaminated area from the newly placed dirt that will be used to fill the road.
To date, most of the contaminated soil has been removed from the north side of the site and crews are preparing for the installation of the liner. The liner is scheduled to be installed the week of August 26. Once it is installed, the following milestones will be achieved, weather permitting:
- Storm drainage will be placed
- Backfilling will be complete
- Concrete curb will be placed
- Concrete sidewalk will be installed
- Concrete approaches at residences will be installed
Please note, the same steps will be taken on the south side of Centre Avenue once work on the north side is complete.
We understand the frustrations many people are feeling regarding the length of time this project has taken, including frustrations regarding parking and access to businesses along Centre Avenue. While parking along Centre Avenue is not an option, there are alternative places residents can park for the duration of the project, as follows:
- Parking area 1: 5001 Centre Street (SW corner of Centre Ave./Centre St. intersection)
- Parking area 2: St John’s Luthern Church, 5001 Centre Ave. (SE corner of Centre Ave./Centre St. intersection)
- Parking area 3: 1 Street S, south of Centre Ave.
- Parking area 4: New Sarepta Market, 5014 Centre Ave. (parking behind market)
View a map of the parking areas.
Thank you for your patience as we work to complete this project.
For more information, contact Amro Kotb, Manager of Engineering, at 780-955-6416 or Amro@leduc-county.com.