Leduc County

Traffic regulations

Leduc County's Traffic Bylaw regulates the use of all local roadways in Leduc County. Motorists are required to abide by the regulations outlined in the Traffic Bylaw, as well as any provincial and federal legislation including, but not limited to, the following:

Failure to adhere to the regulations could result in a fine or other penalty.

Note: emergency vehicles responding to an emergency are exempt from the regulations set out in the Traffic Bylaw.


Phone: 780-955-5005
Fax: 780-955-5557
Email: enforcement@leduc-county.com

General requirements


The speed limit on Leduc County roadways is 80 kilometres per hour unless otherwise posted.


Parking is not permitted on any land owned or controlled by Leduc County that is used as a playground, recreation area, public park or campground, except in a developed parking lot or other area designated for parking.

Vehicle's placed on a jack or similar device must not be left unattended on a roadway.

Trailers must not be parked on a roadway unless it is attached to a vehicle by which it may be propelled or drawn.

Cargo securement requirements

All cargo being transported on county roads must be adequately secured to prevent any part of the cargo from falling onto the roadway. In addition, loads of earth, sand, gravel or other loose material must be at least 75 millimetres below the top of the container, and the container and load must be completely covered at all times.

Additional requirements for commercial vehicles are detailed in the next section.

Tracking material onto the roadway

If a vehicle tracks earth, sand, gravel or other material, including vehicle fluids, onto a roadway, the operator of the vehicle may be required to remove the material, or may be charged the clean-up fees to do so.

Parades or processions

All parades or processions must have a valid permit; applications can be made in writing to PWE@leduc-county.com and must include a description of the proposed parade or procession and its purpose, the name of the person or organization responsible, the start and end dates and times and details of the proposed route, including a map with the route indicated.

Commercial vehicles

Commercial vehicles include any vehicle operated on a roadway by or on behalf of a person for the purpose of providing transportation; this does not include a private vehicle.


Parking of heavy vehicles is not permitted in a location adjoining residential property except for commercial vehicles with hazard warning lamps on and in the process of loading or unloading goods, or construction equipment being used during construction or improvement of property, provided that the equipment is parked adjacent to the property where the work is being done.

Engine retarder brakes

The use of engine retarder brakes is not permitted within hamlets or localities in Leduc County.

Cargo securement requirements

According to the Commercial Vehicle Safety Regulation, all cargo being transported by commercial vehicles must be properly secured so that the cargo cannot leak, spill, blow off, fall from, fall through or otherwise be dislodged from the commercial vehicle, or shift upon or within the vehicle to such an extent that the commercial vehicle’s stability or manoeuvrability is adversely affected. The National Safety Code Standard 10 details appropriate cargo securement systems and requirements.

Road use agreements

Road infrastructure in Leduc County is intended for public use, and business and industry rely upon road infrastructure. Leduc County's Road Use Agreement Policy is aimed at preserving road infrastructure while minimizing publicly-funded maintenance costs and protecting the safety of all road users.

Individuals may be required to enter into a road use agreement with Leduc County if the use of a vehicle on a roadway may or will likely cause damage to the roadway or constitute a nuisance to area residents due to the weight or dimensions of the vehicle, the frequency of use of the roadway, size, type or tread pattern of the tires, physical condition of the proposed haul route, location of route or any combination of the above.

Agricultural producers are exempt from entering into road use agreements if they meet the criteria outlined in the Traffic Bylaw.

Application process

To enter into a road use agreement, applicants must submit a Road Use Agreements application to Public Works and Engineering. Once the completed application form is received by Leduc County, a bond amount will be determined. Before any permits are issued, Leduc County must receive the bonding in the form of a certified cheque, line of credit or bond. The individual who puts up the bond will be held responsible should any damages occur.

Note: whenever fill material is being hauled in or out of Leduc County, applicants must contact Leduc County's Planning and Development department at 780-979-2113 to determine the need for a development permit. Applicants will be required to provide the development permit number when applying for a Road Use Agreement permit.

As part of the application process, applicants must contact RoaData at 1-888-730-3745 to apply for a Road Use Agreements permit. Leduc County's road use coordinator will inspect the road and note any special conditions to be included in the permit, such as dust control measures or restricted hours of hauling. All trucks must carry this permit throughout the haul. Once the haul is complete, the applicant must contact the road use coordinator to request a post-haul inspection.


Commercial vehicles over a certain height, length, width and weight may require a permit to travel in Leduc County. Permits help ensure commercial vehicles are able to maneuver safely along the selected route, and help ensure the safety of other road users. It is up to each vehicle operator to determine if he/she is in need of a permit for a local or provincial roadway.

RoaData Services Ltd. manages the provincial TRAVIS Web system on behalf of Leduc County and provides permit approvals for permits not available through TRAVIS Web, such as Service Rig Moves, County TAC, Fleet Tri-Drive and Steering Annual permits. Approval fees range in price and will be charged for each permit issued, with the exception of those issued for the Nisku Industrial Business Park.

To obtain a permit for a Leduc County road, please call RoaData Services at 1-888-444-9288. To obtain a permit for a provincial road, please call the Alberta Transportation Central Permit Office at 1-800-662-7138.


As per the Traffic Safety Act, a permit is needed if a commercial vehicle and its load exceed any or all of the following dimensions:

  • Height: 4.15 metres (13.6 feet)
  • Length: 23 metres (75 feet)
  • Width: 2.6 metres (8.5 feet)

Exceptions to the above dimensions will be granted to a rubber-tired farm tractor with dozer blade, commercial vehicle transporting hay or straw within a 50-kilometre radius of the load’s place of origin, farm equipment loaded on a trailer and any other farm equipment, with conditions, as outlined in the Commercial Vehicle Dimension and Weight Regulation.

Legal weights

As per the Traffic Safety Act, a permit is needed if a commercial vehicle and its load exceed the following weights:

  • Steering axle: 5,500 kgs power unit or 7,300 kgs truck
  • Single axle: 9,100 kgs
  • Tandem axle: 17,000 kgs
  • Tridem axle: 24,000 kgs (with a TAC permit)
  • Quantum axle group with two axles: 9,100 kgs
  • Quantum axle group with three or more axles with less than 12 tires: 17,000 kgs
  • Quantum axle group with three or more axles with 12 or more tires: 15,000 kgs

Contact RoaData Services Ltd.

Service rigs: 1-888-830-7623
Heavy haul: 1-888-444-9288
Drilling rigs: 1-888-730-3745
Fax: 403-341-7467
Email: permits@roadata.com

Road bans

A temporary 75 per cent road ban is in effect for the following area:

Township Road 504 between Range Road 271 and Range Road 272, and Range Road 272 between Township Road 502 and Township Road 504 
Learn more here

View the vehicle axle weight order for the temporary road ban

View the vehicle axle weight order for lifted road bans.

View the summer 2019 road ban map here.

Road bans e-newsletter

Sign up today to receive up-to-date information on road bans in Leduc County. The Leduc County electronic road bans newsletter will contain notices and date reminders for road bans. Sign up here.

About road bans

Road bans are applied annually by Leduc County in an effort to protect Leduc County road infrastructure when it is at its weakest. Each spring, local roads in Leduc County may be banned at a reduced axle weight. These bans will be posted in a Vehicle Axle Weight Order. Generally, bans are lifted depending on weather conditions throughout late May or early June.

Those wishing to haul equipment/materials in excess of road bans must contact RoaData or call 1-888-444-9288, to obtain permits. 

Note to agricultural producers and commercial haulers: if you are planning to haul grain or other cereal crops, you must get a permit (should your load weights exceed road bans). You may be eligible for a free road ban exemption permit, allowing you to haul during road ban season. Contact RoaData or call 1-888-444-9288, to obtain this permit.

Road bans e-newsletter

Click here to sign up to receive up-to-date information on road bans in Leduc County. The Leduc County electronic road bans newsletter will contain notices and date reminders for road bans.

No-heavy-vehicle routes

Heavy vehicles are prohibited from travelling on certain roadways or sections of roadway in Leduc County. Vehicles with a gross weight or gross registered vehicle weight of 16,400 kilograms or more, with or without a load, or exceeding 12.5 metres in overall length (excluding recreational vehicles) are subject to restrictions; please contact Public Works and Engineering at 780-979-6185 for more information.

Farm vehicles

Vehicles used for farming operations either by or on behalf of another person is considered a commercial vehicle and is subject to legislation for commercial vehicles, unless otherwise stated.

Vehicles with farm licence plates are still considered to be commercial vehicles; farm licence plates are used for registration purposes and to distinguish farmers from other industries when purchasing/possessing marked fuel.

Please refer to the "Commercial vehicles" drop-down on this page for specific regulations.

View/download Leduc County's farm equipment on roads brochure.

Recreational vehicles

Recreational vehicles are vehicles designed to provide temporary living accommodation for travel, vacation or recreational use and to be driven, towed or transported, such as a motor home, tent trailer or any bus converted to provide temporary living accommodations.


Parking of recreational vehicles is not permitted on a roadway unless the location completely adjoins the owner's residence, and is only permitted between May 1 and October 15.

Vehicles parked adjoining to an owner's residence must not be parked for more than 72 hours consecutively and must be moved to an off-roadway location for at least 48 hours before it may be parked on a roadway again.

No person is permitted to occupy a recreational vehicle parked on a roadway.

Off-highway vehicles

An off-highway vehicle (OHV) is any motorized mode of transportation built for cross-country travel on land, water, snow, ice, marsh or swamp land, or other natural terrain. OHVs include quads, motorcycles, dirt bikes, snowmobiles and any other all-terrain vehicle (ATV) and exclude motor boats and miniature vehicles like go carts and golf carts.

As per the Traffic Safety Act and related regulations, OHVs must be registered and insured, and must be equipped with headlamps, tail lamps, an exhaust muffler and such other equipment. Further, all drivers and passengers are required to wear a safety helmet when the vehicle is in use.

As per the Traffic Bylaw, a person may operate an OHV in Leduc County in the ditch adjacent to a roadway, if travelling single-file and in the same direction as adjacent traffic. To bypass a hazard or obstacle in the ditch, operators may travel in the parking lane (or the right most lane of the roadway where there is no parking lane). Operation of an OHV is not permitted within hamlets, except for the purposes of entering or leaving the hamlet by the most direct route to and from the operator's residence.

Travel must not exceed 40 kilometres per hour and operators must adhere to posted speeds less than 40 kilometres per hour.

Parades or processions

All OHV parades or processions must have a valid permit; applications can be made in writing to PWE@leduc-county.com and must include a description of the proposed parade or procession and its purpose, the name of the person or organization responsible, the start and end dates and times, the type of OHVs and approximate number of participants, and details of the proposed route, including a map with the route indicated.


Persons operating a power-driven boat must not exceed 10 kilometres per hour within 30 metres of the shore in any waters in Alberta, as set out in the Canada Shipping Act, unless other limits are posted. This does not apply in rivers less than 100 metres wide, canals and buoyed channels, nor in the case of waterskiing where towboat launches and drops off skiers by heading directly away from or into the shore.

More information on boat regulations can be found in Transport Canada's Safe Boating Guide at boatingsafety.gc.ca.